The MANILA OBSERVATORY is a Jesuit scientific research institution with research work in the fields of atmospheric
and earth science in the Philippines and the Southeast Asian region. It advocates a science-based approach to sustainable
development and poverty reduction through its principal focus on the areas of climate change and disaster science.
Project Title: Strengthening Resilience through Early Warning System, Enhanced Anticipatory Actions and Multi-risk Landscape Approach in Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (SUPREME BARMM)
Unit: Klima Center
Duration: The successful candidate will initially be contracted for six months (subject to annual renewal)
The SUPREME BARMM project aims to reduce the vulnerability and improve the disaster preparedness and resilience of at-risk communities in the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) by strengthening the anticipatory and humanitarian actions informed with wider landscape risk reduction approach in the region. Building on the gains and lessons of previous Actions led by Oxfam in BARMM, anticipatory actions will be further enhanced by broadening the institutionalization and scalability of the innovation of impact-based forecasting, financial inclusion and early action protocols for multiple hazards by a) aligning to the policy frameworks, information systems and long-term development programs of the BARMM, b) firming up the capacities of the BARMM, local government and communities for anticipatory actions for flood, drought, typhoon and conflict, and rapid response mechanisms and c) adopting a comprehensive risk assessment with shared understanding of landscapes scenarios for an effective end-to-end early warning system.
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Report to the Head of Klima Center and the Project Manager;
- Provide administrative support to project management;
- Provide assistance to the Project Manager in the development of research outputs and activities by conducting reviews and analyses of literature, data gathering (may include development of research instruments; conduct of field interviews; surveys; review of literature, etc.), as well as data analysis and write-up;
- Collaborate and liaise with the involved research laboratories in the implementation of the Project activities, including providing administrative and technical support to research laboratories that will need assistance for the efficient activity operations of the Project;
- Provide administrative/logistical support for scientific/ research events organized by the Project Manager and the Laboratory heads, which may include but are not limited to conferences, seminars, and research colloquia;
- Compile, analyze, and integrate data and information, including maps and existing literature and local information relevant to the Project. This includes maintaining files, both hard and soft copies in an organized directory;
- Attend meetings, including as part of the Technical Working Groups of the project, conferences, workshops, and the like as applicable;
- Assist in the management of project reporting requirements; and
- Draft progress and end of project reports, as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in social science, preferably in the field of political science, public administration, sociology, economics, community development or development studies
- One (1) to two (2) years of relevant work experience
- Good organization and attention to detail
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work with different partners in academe, government, private partners
- Good knowledge and understanding of the disaster preparedness and resilience concepts in the Mindanao and BARMM contexts
- Willing to do field work in BARMM areas
- Candidates from the BARMM are strongly encouraged to apply
All interested applicants must submit the following:
a) An Application Letter addressed to Fr. Jose Ramon T. Villarin, SJ, Executive Director of the Manila Observatory.
b) Curriculum Vitae with three professional work references (including their emails and contact numbers).
c) Transcript of Records.
Please submit the required documents via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with “Applicant- Project Assistant” as subject. Deadline for the submission of applications is on 31 May 2023.