Narisma, Gemma Teresa T.
Ph.D. Atmospheric Science, Macquarie University
M.S. Environmental Science, University of the Philippines, Diliman
B.S. Applied Physics, University of the Philippines, Diliman
Dr. Narisma has a BS in Applied Physics degree and an MS in Environmental Science from the University of the Philippines, Diliman. She finished her PhD in Atmospheric Science at the Macquarie University in Australia where her research work focused on the impact of land cover change on the Australian climate. After her PhD, she then joined the Center for Sustainability and the Global Environment (SAGE) at the University of Wisconsin, Madison as a Research Associate. At SAGE, Dr. Narisma studied abrupt changes in climate, which have significant human and societal impacts, and identified regions of the world where sudden, unexpected, and prolonged droughts occurred during the 20th century.
Dr. Narisma is currently the head of the Climate and Disaster program of the Ateneo Institutue of Sustiainability and is actively involved in a CHED-Phernet funded research program on “Multi-Disciplinary Risk Research Program Towards Holistic Approach on Disaster Risk Analysis for Sustainable Development” in the Ateneo. She is also the Associate Director for Research and the Head of the Regional Climate Systems Program of the Manila Observatory.
• Silang, A., S. N. Uy, J. B. Dado, F. T. Cruz, G. T. Narisma, N. J. Libatique, and G. Tangonan, 2013: “Wind Energy Projection for the Philippines Based on Climate Change Modeling.”, Energy Procedia, accepted for publication.
• F. T. Cruz, G. T. Narisma, M.Q. Villafuerte II, K.U. Cheng Chua, and L.M. Olaguera, 2013: A climatological analysis of the southwest monsoon rainfall in the Philippines, Atmospheric Research, 122, pp 609-616, doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2012.06.010.
• C. A. Jamandre, G. T. Narisma, 2013: Spatio-temporal validation of satellite-based rainfall estimates in the Philippines, Atmospheric Research, 122, 599-608, doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2012.06.024.
• West, P.C., G.T. Narisma, C.C. Barford, C.J. Kucharik, and J.A. Foley, 2011: An alternative approach for quantifying climate regulation by ecosystems. Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, 2011; 9(2): 126–133, doi:10.1890/090015 (published online 23 Feb 2010).
• G. T. Narisma, J.A. Foley, R. Licker, and Ramankutty, 2007: Abrupt changes in rainfall during the twentieth century, Geophysical Research Letters, 34, L06710, doi:10.1029/2006GL028628. (Featured in Editor’s pick of the week in Science.)
• Pitman A. J., G. T. Narisma, and J. McAneney, 2007: The impact of climate change on the risk of forest and grassland fires in Australia, Climatic Change, 84, doi: 10.1007/s10584-007-9243-6.
• Narisma G. T. and A. J. Pitman, 2006: Exploring the sensitivity of the Australian climate to regional land cover change scenarios under increasing CO2 concentrations and warmer temperatures, Earth Interactions, 10, paper no. 7.
• Gero, A., A.J. Pitman, G.T. Narisma, C. Jacobson, and R.A. Pielke, 2006: The impact of land cover change on storms in the Sydney Basin, Global and Planetary Change, 54: 57-58.
• Pitman A. J. and G. T. Narisma, 2005: The role of land surface processes in regional climate change: a case study of future land cover change over South Western Australia, Meteorology and Atmospheric Physics, 89(1-4), 235-249.
• Peel, D., A. J. Pitman, L. Hughes and G.T. Narisma, 2005, The impact of an explicit representation of Eucalyptus on the simulation of the January climate of Australia, Environmental Modelling and Software, 20: 595-612.
• Narisma G.T. and A.J. Pitman, 2004, The effect of including biospheric feedbacks on the impact of land cover change over Australia, Earth Interactions, 8, paper 5, 10.1175/1087-3562(2004)008.
• Pitman A.J., G.T. Narisma, R.A. Pielke Sr., and N.J. Holbrook, 2004: The impact of land cover change on the climate of southwest Western Australia, J. Geophys. Res. 109, doi:10.1029/2003JD004347
• Narisma G.T. and A.J. Pitman, 2003: The impact of 200 years of land cover change on the Australian near-surface climate. J. Hydrometeorol., 4:424-436.
• Narisma G.T., A.J. Pitman, J. Eastman, I.G. Watterson, R. Pielke Sr. and A. Beltrán-Przekurat, 2003, The role of biospheric feedbacks in the simulation of the impact of historical land cover change on the Australian January climate. Geophys. Res. Lett., 30, 6-1–6-4, 10.1029/2003GL018261.
• Lim, M., G. Narisma, and C. Saloma, 2000: Spectral extrapolation by simplex projection. Opt Commun, 176:373-385.
• Saloma C. and G. Narisma, 1995: “Modelling spatially-extended complex systems from experimental data: Sensitivity to sampling intervals,” J. Appl. Phys., 77: 1374 – 1377.
Book Chapter (International):
• Beltrán-Przekurat, A., R.A. Pielke Sr., J.L Eastman, G.T. Narisma, A.J. Pitman, M. Lei, and D. Niyogi, 2011: Using the Factor Separation Method for land-use land-cover change impacts on weather and climate process with the Regional Atmospheric Modeling System. In: The Factor Separation Method in the Atmosphere-Applications and Future Prospects, Cambridge University Press, ISBN-13: 9780521191739.
Book Chapter (Philippines):
• G.T. Narisma, FA Siringan, MC Vicente, E Capili-Tarroja, RT Perez, FT Cruz, et al., “Albay Sustainable Development Guidebook”, Manila Observatory – Chevron Geothermal Philippines Inc, Albay Provincial Government, 2012.
• J.T. Villarin, SJ, and G.T. Narisma, 2011: Endangered Climate. In: Stellar Origins, Human Ways: Readings in Science, Technology, and Society, Cuyegkeng, Ma. Assunta C., editor, Ateneo de Manila University Press, pp 211-229.
• G. T. Narisma, C. M. Vicente, E. B. Capili-Tarroja, F. T. Cruz, J. B. Dado, et al., “Patterns of Vulnerability in the Forestry, Agriculture, Water and Coastal Sectors of Silago, Southern Leyte, Philippines”, GIZ-Manila Observatory, Quezon City, Philippines, 2011, ISBN: 978-971-92357-2-9.
• G.T. Narisma, 2001: Counting Greenhouse Gases. In: Disturbing Climate, J.T. Villarin, SJ, editor, Manila Observatory, Ateneo de Manila University, c2001. ISBN9719235705. (National Book Award (Sciences) by the Manila Critics Circle, the National Book Development Board, and later in 2002 by the NAST)
• JT Villarin, GT Narisma, MS Reyes, SM Macatangay, MT Ang, “Tracking Greenhouse Gases: A Guide for Country Inventories”, Manila Observatory, Quezon City, Philippines, 1999, ISBN: 971-8986-154.